They are everywhere,
in everything,
on everything,
in the air we breathe,
the food we eat,
the things we touch. . .
Most people don't give them a second a thought, most people never stop to consider, most don't have to wonder what is lurking all around them. . .
But I do.
Those pesky little invaders are called allergens. What the heck is an allergen anyway?
According to Wikipedia
"An allergen is a nonparasitic antigen capable of stimulating a type-I hypersensitivity reaction in atopic individuals. "
Yeah, yeah, yeah. . . but I want to know why. Why is it such an epidemic these days? It wasn't always like this, was it?
I have a kid who can't even eat "normal" food if she wants to stay healthy. Being outside causes all kinds of reactions, to the air, the grass, the trees, animals, mulch on the playground. Not to mention the chemicals all around, cleaning solutions, air fresheners, the chemical put in tap water, chemicals put in pool water. I want to lock her in a bubble to keep her from having to deal with all the adverse reactions. But if I do that she doesn't stand much of chance for a fun fulfilling life. I can't protect her from all of them, I can monitor and do my best to prevent it but I can't tell her she can't dance because she is allergic to the floor, or she can't swim because she is allergic to the chlorine or she can't go to the park with her friends because of the mulch, and the pollen.
What is the answer? I can't believe the only answer is medication. I just can't do it.
These little things invade every aspect of my life and can't help but wonder why my child is so sensitive to them. Why is her immune system so over-reactive to absolutely EVERYTHING. I know it could be worse and I should be thankful it is just allergies, asthma and arthritis I am dealing with in my child. And I am, I really am, but I get so frustrated.
They are everywhere and
I am constantly battling these,
invisible invaders.
in everything,
on everything,
in the air we breathe,
the food we eat,
the things we touch. . .
Most people don't give them a second a thought, most people never stop to consider, most don't have to wonder what is lurking all around them. . .
But I do.
Those pesky little invaders are called allergens. What the heck is an allergen anyway?
According to Wikipedia
"An allergen is a nonparasitic antigen capable of stimulating a type-I hypersensitivity reaction in atopic individuals. "
Yeah, yeah, yeah. . . but I want to know why. Why is it such an epidemic these days? It wasn't always like this, was it?
I have a kid who can't even eat "normal" food if she wants to stay healthy. Being outside causes all kinds of reactions, to the air, the grass, the trees, animals, mulch on the playground. Not to mention the chemicals all around, cleaning solutions, air fresheners, the chemical put in tap water, chemicals put in pool water. I want to lock her in a bubble to keep her from having to deal with all the adverse reactions. But if I do that she doesn't stand much of chance for a fun fulfilling life. I can't protect her from all of them, I can monitor and do my best to prevent it but I can't tell her she can't dance because she is allergic to the floor, or she can't swim because she is allergic to the chlorine or she can't go to the park with her friends because of the mulch, and the pollen.
What is the answer? I can't believe the only answer is medication. I just can't do it.
These little things invade every aspect of my life and can't help but wonder why my child is so sensitive to them. Why is her immune system so over-reactive to absolutely EVERYTHING. I know it could be worse and I should be thankful it is just allergies, asthma and arthritis I am dealing with in my child. And I am, I really am, but I get so frustrated.
They are everywhere and
I am constantly battling these,
invisible invaders.

No comments:
Post a Comment